Friday, March 24, 2006

Response to "Learn about SL before Learning SL"

I do agree with Eric Rice on a couple of points. Most of what he mentioned we already discuss in class. I don't think that SL is a game and I think that Eric Rice made a good distinction; clarifying SL as a tool and a toy.

Second Life does incorporate all of those aspects that are so popular and palpable. "Social networking, collaboration..." etc, I've heard all about them. It was pleasing to read Eric Rice explain the complexity of Second Life, and warn people not too get ahead themselves.

I disagree with Rice on the issue of SL disrupting the video game industry. On paper (or on screen ), it would seem that people creating their own game might supplant pre-designed games. However, video games have entrenched themselves in our culture. Rice admits that he is not a gamer, so I take what he says with a grain of salt. Gamers that I know, enjoy the surprise that comes with new games. Yeah, it's fun to create your own games, but people love the universality of games. A person from Seatle can meet up with somebody from Miami and discuss the new features of Madden. Not everyone aspires to create. Many people enjoy partaking a new game that surprises them at every turn.

-Rand Geiger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home