Friday, March 24, 2006

Second Life Google Video

I was surprised to learn that the monthly financial transactions in the world of Second Life total $5 million. They discussed SL in relation to World of Warcraft, and touched on just how much smaller in scale SL was. I believe they said that about 20,000 users participate in SL each day. Even if there were 50,000 SL users, each person would have to spend an average of $100 a month to equal that $5 million mark. Plus, I learned that you have to pay around $250 a month in land taxes on each acre that you own. I had no idea that Second Life was so financially-driven. I was under the impression that it was geared more towards stimulating social interaction via the Internet.

I was unaware of the amount of programming and construction each user is able to complete. They repeatedly focussed on the child in the poor country who built the gun and was making a steady income off of it. Before this video, I had not viewed Second Life as an artist's canvas.

In the same vein, it surprised me to hear about the live concerts and such that were held on Fridays and Saturdays. I attended the U2 concert, but I figured that was probably just a one-time thing. I believe they said that the same number of people would come to listen to the shows in SL as would go to listen to live performances in the popular coffee-houses in San Francisco.

I had thought that the creators had envisioned a world in which the users could "choose their own adventures" (so to speak). In a sense, I figured Second Life was just like one the "Sims" game. I did not know to what extent they had hoped for users to create their own intellectual property... (I'm still a little confused as to who owns the rights to Second Life creationgs. Phil and Corey said that the user retains the rights, but I thought I remembered Kim saying that anything you create belongs to the owners of SL).


In analyzing the speech, we should take note of all the audio and visual aspects. Corey entertained the eye with his "game-play" and Phil spoke in an informal style (spending most of his time fielding questions).

It's also important to analzye the content; what exactly was discussed and how each matter was treated. For example, Phil repeatedly referenced back to the $5 million in transactions that take place. He also talked about the boy who created the gun. Using that story to depict Second Life as a platform for others to pursue their dreams; a free market in which the talented and ambitious can rise to the top, despite possible harsh physical surroundings. During his 15 minute introduction, Phil never spoke about how he and Corey make money from the game. He only focussed on the money that was earned by others. It wasn't until someone from the audience asked, then he finally addressed the issue.

-Rand Geiger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home