Tuesday, March 21, 2006

at the Game Developer Conference

Tonight I'll post some pictures of the swag I got when I signed in - cool stuff - and I"m hoping for more later int he week since AdultSwim is a sponsor of the conference!

I'm here at the conference - and went to a panel today where a big part of the discussion was on - ready for this? - what is a game. The big name was Jesper Juul; I think you all read something by him the first part of the semester. He says that goals might actually hold back a game, limit its appeal. He talked about goal-less games, and goal-optional games.

Here's a question to consider - how are The Sims2 and Grand Theft Auto similar?

I'm sitting by the Microsoft bar, watching a bunch of guys play xbox360 games - in fact, i don't see any women around right now at all. I know i'm not ht eonly one here so I wonder where female game developers hang out in this testosterone filled space.

Check the syllabus - there's homework (including blog posts) - so read, play, and post - - then repeat.
I'll put hte midterm up later in the week. It's going to draw on your blog posts so make them meaty and substantive so we have something to work with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home