Friday, April 28, 2006

Which data collection technique do you feel most comfortable with - interviews, observations, or content analysis? Why?

I'd have to say that I feel most comfortable observing. This is not to say that I get all clamy and nervous before I conduct an interview or that I hate reading blogs and posts. Quite simply, I would liken recording my observations to writing a journal entry. I enjoy being attentive to all the action, dialogue, and occurences that happen around me. With observations, I get to interpret how the "world" appears to me. Any thought that comes to mind could be important and so I just write as if I were capturing my stream of consciousness.

With observations, there is very little for me to concern myself with. I just have to write down everything that I see, hear, feel, and think. When interviewing, I have to pay attention to the other person (sometimes offering feedback or words of encouragement). With content analysis, I have to consider the parameters of my study (perhaps my focus is too specific, or maybe it's too general).

Sidenote: I think that I might prefer to interview people in person. As classmates of mine have mentioned, sometimes the other person takes forever to respond (or they could just stop answering my questions without any explanation). We discussed the benefits to interviewing on SL (no real-time travel required, no need to be self-conscience, if the other person is weird you can just teleport, etc...), but I would probably feel more comfortable (maybe even less self-conscience) interviewing in person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home